IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] New Species Anthurium, sect. Belolonchium
From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2009.01.03 at 03:02:05(18839)
Steve:

Passthis on to Dan Devor! .

Findingdecent type specimen is actually one of the most difficult tasks of abotanist. There are lots of new species floating around but you need morethan a live plant which does not count for anything according to therules. It has to be herbarium material preserved in a recognizedherbarium. Moreover, I insist that the type be widely distributed,meaning a bare minimum of three specimens, one on each continent. This isto avoid the risk of losing or damaging the specimens by sending them throughthe mail. Too often specimens, particularly those of large plants, arecollected in sets of one (useless in my opinion). When I collect andsuspect that something is new I try to make as many specimens as possible. Naturally a good description is nice and commendable but legally there are nodemands on the quality of the description, unlike the demand that a collectionbe preserved. I try to make excellent descriptions with lots of photos aswell. Aroids are confusing enough when you have excellent information soit all helps.

Tom

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.