IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Tissue culture
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2008.12.31 at 22:21:54(18830)
You used to be able to get a nice handbook on plant tissue culture for free from Sigma Chemical Company. Have a look there and see what you can some up with. Like Mammalian TC you can buy huge numbers of different pre-formulated substrates for plants. The difficulty is finding the one that works, although since Alocasia have been in TC for some time this may be easy. Sterility is always troubling if you do not have some lab experience. Doing primary TC of human tissue is tough because of the bacteria that must be stamped out based on my personal experience. While I would not trust an undergrad to do it, perhaps a grad. stud. or post-doc that wants to add it to their list since they have the requisite skill set already in place. I've always heard the tough part is getting from the plates to the soil.

There is someone on this list in Germany who knows a lot about TC so maybe they can chime in.

Best of luck one way or the other,

Dan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.