IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

the symptom of overfertilized Amorphophallus?
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.06.10 at 09:30:58(19413)
Dear Andras,

I am NOT an expert, but when I used to grow aquatic aroids, they used to suffer "leaf burn'', and I was told that the man-made granular AND some liquid fertilizers which contain ''salts'' were the main cause of this problem.  I was given some liquid fertilizers with a low-salt content, and advised to use them in a weak mix more frequently, and to allow rain to 'flush'' the soil as often as possible, I also used OLD cow manure and WEAK mixes of fish emulsion fertilizer, this certainly improved the leaf burn situation.  Perhaps you need to reduce the amount of fertilizer you use?
I hope that this may work for you.

Good Growing,

Julius

HTML

+More

From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix at msn.com> on 2009.06.11 at 15:34:41(19417)
Hi Andras & everyone,

I have learned that rabbit poo is a great fertilizer that isn't considered 'hot' like most manure fertilizers/soil conditioners. I have a couple of rabbits and tried some 'fresh' rabbit poo on a few tomatoe plants. Some were already doing well and some were not. Now they're all doing great. I looked this up to send out to everyone who's interested in the organic fertilizer concept. The hay that falls under the cages (and when I change out the bedding) is great, too. Mulch and fertilizer all in one! I've since used it on everything from veggies to Philodendrons and so on. Hope this helps. Most manures MUST be comoposted well until very dry, but are still good.

Great growing to all,

Sherry

HTML

+More

From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail at hctc.com> on 2009.06.12 at 00:59:31(19419)
I don't suppose Dr. Dickerson has any info about rat manure?
I have two pet rats, and am experimenting with the best way
to extract their manure from their bedding.

Jason Hernandez

+More
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.06.12 at 10:22:38(19420)
Dear All,

Rabbit droppings sound good!  
As a boy, my Dad and I would walk a large cow pasture and collect OLD cow-pies where we could see the grass growing up through the cake from below, or the seeds of Samman tree pods ("cow tamarinds") germinating in the pie, this meant that it was safe to crumble these older manure cakes around the roots of his prized Anthuriums.
I`m also interested in learning if fresh horse manure is also a ''safe'' or ''not hot'' fertilizer.  Back in 1959 I recall seeing the old folks in the U.K. running out into horse parades passing by in the streets of large towns, their coal scuttles and broom in hand, to collect the just-fallen horse droppings to put fresh on their flowering shrubs.  I was told that this was safe?

Julius

HTML

+More

From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix at msn.com> on 2009.06.14 at 06:38:36(19421)
Hi Julius,

Do not use fresh horse manure. It needs to be dried, or it will burn. Most barnyard manures are hot if it's fresh. It's ok if it gets wet after it's 'cured', in fact it makes a great manure tea.

Take care,

Sherry

HTML

+More

From: Ken Mosher <ken at spatulacity.com> on 2009.06.15 at 05:18:09(19422)
Julius,

Horses don't digest their food as completely as cows. You may get a lot
of weeds from horse manure. The best has been composted and then taken
from the bottom of the pile where the weed seeds have been killed by the
heat.

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.