IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re Species suited to a water wall
From: Paul Temple <paulindr at gmail.com> on 2009.04.24 at 02:50:07(19276)
Molly, Bonaventure.

Thanks for the replies (and to others who wrote directly to me - I answered those directly).

Yes, I can probably send a photo of the wall to the list bt remember it will be "nude" as it was only built a week ago!

As to growing epiphytic/lithophytic orchids on the wall, it would be nice. My limited knowledge of growing orchids is that most like to be dry before being re-watered. certainly most orchids native to the Dominican Republic would die quickly from over-watering. So I'll have to work out which orchids will prefer or accept being constantly wet.

Cheers

Paul

HTML

+More

From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2009.04.29 at 20:22:27(19293)
Hi Paul,

Cloud forest orchids, such as various pleurothallids, would like constant moisture. The general rule is that higher elevation ones with finer roots and lack of water storage organs (pseudobulbs) and thinner substanced leaves, like more constant moisture. Pleurothallis, Masdevallia, Dracula, Restrepia, Telepogon, ect.

Bonaventure

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.