IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Stolen plant
From: jindegales at yahoo.co.uk (Michael Benedito) on 2008.08.05 at 13:21:17(18326)

Hello all!
?
My name is Michael, i have 21 years old, currently i am stdying biology?and i live at Madeira Island (Portugal). I have registered to the aroid list because i really need your help regarding an aroid that was stolen from me a few weeks ago. I dont know its name, all i know is that the plant was offered to me as a gift?by?a friend when she visited Indonesia a couple of years ago. Last few days i have been trying to find out who stole my plant, but without sucess. I also do not know its name, but i have attached?a picture of the same plant growing in the wild. If you could please help me ID it and/or tell me another?source for this plant i would be very gratefull. The plant itself is not that amazing, because there are aroids a lot more beautiful than it, but anyway, it meant a lot to me and was one of my favourite plants, and now i am very sad about what happened.
?
Michael

+More
From: ptyerman at ozemail.com.au (ptyerman at ozemail.com.au) on 2008.08.06 at 05:27:15(18330)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/private/aroid-l/attachments/20080806/c57e1ade/attachment-0001.htm

From: jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu (Ertelt, Jonathan B) on 2008.08.06 at 05:33:35(18331)
Michael,

I will bow to other authorities here, but the vining heart-shaped leaves
do bot, I don't believe, belong to an aroid. My first reaction is to
suggest a member of the milweed family, perrhaps a Dischidia, but they
uniformly have opposite leaves, not alternate as this one does. It maybe a
Piper species. To be honest, I'm not as well versed with the old world
aroid tropicals as numerous others on this list - but my suggestion is
that you may want to explore some other groups, not just the aroids. Good
luck - l;et us know.

Jonathan

+More
From: botanist at malesiana.com (Peter Boyce) on 2008.08.06 at 05:42:52(18332)
Hi Michael,

This is Piper porphyophyllum (Piperaceae), a member of the pepper family. It is native throughout much of Malysia and Indonesia and is occasionally seen in cultivation here in Sarawak, where it is quite a common wild species in the jungles around my house.

I am sure that I can get some cutting for you. If you would like to email me direct with your address I will contact you and arrange to get some rooted cuttings sent to you.

Very best

Peter

+More
From: EGoldfluss at aol.com (EGoldfluss at aol.com) on 2008.08.06 at 06:24:49(18335)
Hello-

Sorry for your loss. I'm going to say that its not an Aroid but rather
Piper porphyrophyllum also known as Cissus porph. It is native to Indonesia. It
is a climber without tendrils, stems red with lines of white bristles,
with roundish cordate recurved, 3-4 inch quilted leaves, velvety moss green
with yellow veins, and pink markings mainly along the veins, wine red
underneath.

+More
From: harrywitmore at witmore.net (Harry Witmore) on 2008.08.06 at 11:39:46(18336)
Michael, looks amazing to me but I don't think it is an aroid. I think it is
most likely a Piper but I really don;t know. If you do find a source, count
me in.

Harry Witmore

+More
From: abri1973 at wp.pl (Marek Argent) on 2008.08.06 at 12:06:28(18337)
Hi again

I think this is not an aroid, but a member of Peperomiaceae.

Marek

+More
From: hluther at selby.org (Harry Luther) on 2008.08.06 at 13:41:05(18338)
Piper? HEL

-----Original Message-----

+More
From: jindegales at yahoo.co.uk (Michael Benedito) on 2008.08.07 at 00:53:08(18344)
Hi again!
?
Thanks to all that helped me with the ID of the plant, you are absolutely right, its not an aroid but belongs to the piperaceae family.
?
?At the beginning?i thougt it was some sort of scindapsus, but then i realized that it lacks some typical characteristics of that genus, specially the total absence of roots traces at the nodes, and i also made a google search and found nothing like that plant?under scindapsus and related genera.
?
?Then the plant flowered to me and the flower reminded me of an aroid spadix, but the spathe was missing, so i thought it could be?totally reduced or someting like that...
I grow peperomia, but never related the inflorescences of each other, as peperomia are so compact and look different!...
That flower, the leaf attachement, the growing habbit?and the shape of the leaves of that piper?fooled me?all this time!? But now i am glad that i finally know what it is!
?
Anyway, I apologise to ask this here, since this is an aroid list and not piper list, but?can we tell that the inflorescence?of aroids (monocots)?and piperaceae (dicots), that are so "far away" from each other, be considered as some sort of convergent evolution? At first glance they really?look very similar, even in the floral arrangement. I would like to know your opinion!
?
Kind regards
Michael
+More
From: Lup San <e_asiaflora at yahoo.com> on 2008.08.17 at 09:06:05(18398)
Its Piper pophoryphyllum aff - not exactly sure about the spelling though. Its a common plant of rainforest in SE Asia.

--- On Tue, 8/5/08, Michael Benedito wrote:

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.